Nicky's Blog

Welcome to my blog for English 102!!!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Margaret Atwood Topic Proposal

For my text-in-context research paper on “The Handmaids Tale” I am going to dig into the practices and effects of totalitarian control. I chose this because it intrigues and confuses me. I am very interested in the idea that a single person or government can just up and control the masses at their whim. I wonder not only how this is done but also, how the said society adjusts and survives such an upheaval. I think the thing that has drawn me on this topic is the stark differences in this government and my own. As a citizen of the United States I feel I often take for granted the  freedoms I enjoy every day. From birth I have had rights and freedoms and it intrigues me that some people don’t.
The research on this paper will be quite extensive as I know virtually nothing about this form of government. First I need to fully understand what exactly a totalitarian government is and how it moves and functions from day to day. I then plan on finding examples of this and last the effects on people. How does a person function being so controlled and manipulated? Do they get used to this?. I would also like to find out if people can recover mentally from this sort of control?
So here we go! Hopefully after I absorb all the information and analyze it I will better understand the characters of “The Handmaids Tale” and the idea and facts behind a totalitarian government.

No comments:

Post a Comment